Ectropion is an outward turn of the lower eyelid edge. This is the opposite of entropion where the eyelid turns outwards.
Ectropion is often an age-related disorder but can also be the result of neurological disorder or scar tissue retraction. Ectropion can be remedied by means of a surgical procedure.
The main symptoms are a burning sensation in, and excessive watering of, the eye.
The cause of ectropion is usually genetic, but old age, scar tissue, neurological disorder or a mechanical defect are also possible.
Ectropion is also associated with new-borns suffering from Harlequin ichthyosis.
Fortunately, ectropion can be treated and cured through surgery. The eyelid is tightened and repositioned (canthoplasty or canthopexy). Where the ectropion is caused by scar tissue retraction, corrective surgery is carried out using a skin graft or skin flap.
Our doctors will be more than happy to take the time to discuss treatment with you beforehand. Make an appointment today.
The chance of experiencing complications after ectropion surgery is small. Our surgeons will discuss the risks and follow-up treatment before the start of the procedure.
After the procedure, we recommend you take note of the following points:
- Do not lower your head (e.g. tie shoe laces) or lie flat. If you sleep on your back, prop yourself up with a double thickness pillow.
- Avoid stress and try to remain relaxed and rested; your blood pressure should remain low. Reading and watching television are permitted.
- Aftercare consists of anti-inflammatory agents and painkillers in combination with gentle cooling. No ice or cold packs should be placed directly onto the eye; always use a thick piece of cloth to wrap around them. Even better, place a clean flannel moistened with cold water onto the eye.
- Eye drops (Artificial tears), and an ointment (Tobramycin) to be applied onto the scar tissue, should be used for 1 week.
- Stitches will be removed within 1 week.
At Focus Eye Clinic, we consciously implement an extremely transparent price policy. You pay the correct price for the latest eyelid correction technology.
Make an appointment today and find out whether an eyelid correction is the best solution for you.