Entropion is a medical condition in which the edge of the lower eyelid folds inwards. This is in contrast to an ectropion where the eyelid turns outwards. Entropion is usually due to sagging of the eyelid edge, but can also be caused by inflammation or scar tissue retraction. Inwardly turned eyelashes then rub against the eye and cause irritation, excessive tears and a burning sensation in the eyes. This condition is known as trichiasis.
Entropion can be remedied by means of a surgical procedure.
Causes of entropion
Entropion and associated trichiasis are on the whole genetic, but ageing and scar tissue retraction can also be to blame.
Entropion and trichiasis treatment
Fortunately, entropion can be completely cured using surgical techniques.
Depending on the cause, the lower eyelid is tightened and repositioned, or a mucous membrane graft is applied to rectify entropion caused by scar tissue retraction. The eyelashes will now stand in the correct position and the painful symptoms of trichiasis will rapidly disappear.
Our doctors will take the time to discuss treatment with you during an initial consultation. Make your appointment today.
The chance of experiencing complications after entropion treatment is small. Our surgeons will discuss the risks and follow-up treatment before the start of the procedure.
After the procedure, we recommend you take note of the following points:
- Do not lower your head (e.g. tie shoe laces) or lie flat. If you sleep on your back, prop yourself up with a double thickness pillow.
- Avoid stress and try to remain relaxed and rested; your blood pressure should remain low. Reading and watching television are permitted.
- Aftercare consists of anti-inflammatory agents and painkillers in combination with gentle cooling. No ice or cold packs should be placed directly onto the eye; always use a thick piece of cloth to wrap around them. Even better, place a clean flannel moistened with cold water onto the eye.
- Eye drops (Artificial tears), and an ointment (Tobramycin) to be applied onto the scar tissue, should be used for 1 week.
- Stitches will be removed within 1 week.
Entropion treatment Prices
At Focus Eye Clinic, we think it important to implement a transparent price policy. You pay the right price for the latest eyelid correction technology.
Make an appointment today and find out whether lower eyelid correction would be the best solution for you.