Lagophtalmos or lagophtalmia is the scientific term for an eye condition in which the eyelids are no longer able to close completely. This condition can be remedied with a surgical procedure.
Do you think you suffer from lagophtalmia? Make an appointment today. You can come to Focus Eye Clinic for all types of blepharoplasty such as eye lifts, upper eyelid correction and the treatment of ptosis.
Causes of lagophtalmos
Lagophtalmos can be caused in various ways.
- Neurological disorder
- Over-extreme skin resection
- Scarring caused by burns
Because the eyelids are no longer able to completely close, the eyes tends to dry out, leading to corneal ulceration. To avoid permanent damage, it is important that lagophtalmos is corrected in good time.
When lagophtalmia is caused by a skin defect or scar retraction of the upper eyelid corrective surgery can be carried out by means of a skin graft or skin flap.
If the condition is neurological in nature, this can be remedied by inserting a small piece of gold which enables eye closure through its added weight.
In cases of lagophtalmos of the lower eyelid and/or minor closure problems, canthopexy or lower eyelid suspension can help. For pronounced skin shortage or scar retraction, the surgeon will use a skin graft or flap.
Lagophtalmia surgery aftercare
The chance of experiencing complications after lagophtalmia treatment is small. Our surgeons will discuss the risks and follow-up treatment before the start of the procedure.
After the procedure, we recommend you take note of the following points:
- Do not lower your head (e.g. tie shoe laces) or lie flat. If you sleep on your back, prop yourself up with a double thickness pillow.
- Avoid stress and try to remain relaxed and rested; your blood pressure should remain low. Reading and watching television are permitted.
- Aftercare consists of anti-inflammatory agents and painkillers in combination with gentle cooling. No ice or cold packs should be placed directly onto the eye; always use a thick piece of cloth to wrap around them. Even better, place a clean flannel moistened with cold water onto the eye.
- Eye drops (Artificial tears), and an ointment to be applied onto the scar tissue, should be used for 1 week.
- Stitches will be removed within 1 week.
Lagophtalmos treatment price
At Focus Eye Clinic, we think it important to implement a transparent price policy. You pay the right price for the latest eyelid correction technology.
Make an appointment today and find out whether lower eyelid correction would be the best solution for you.