With a lower eyelid correction or blepharoplasty of the lower eyelids, the excess skin of the lower eyelids is surgically removed. This surgery is often accompanied by a canthopexy or suspension of the lower eyelid.
A lower eyelid correction helps you get rid of those heavy, dark circles under your eyes for good.
Make an appointment today and find out if a lower eyelid correction is the best solution for you. At Focus Eye Clinic, you can come in for all manner of blepharoplasty such as an eye lift, upper eyelid correction and the treatment of ptosis.
What is dermatochalasis?
Dermatochalasis is a medical term which describes excess skin on the lower eyelids. The term originates from the Greek words ‘derma’ relating to skin and ‘chalasis’ meaning ‘hanging’ or ‘loosening’.
Dermatochalasis of the lower lids is often accompanied by excess fat, which causes the fat to collect around the eyes, causing visible bags, sometimes called ‘periorbital puffiness’ or ‘puffy eyes’.
Why do we get bags under our eyes?
Unfortunately, there is little we can do to prevent them. Genetic factors determine the extent to which you will get them; however, age together with gravity also play an important role.
With aging, your skin loses part of its elasticity. This causes it to slacken and hang. The subcutaneous tissue also weakens, allowing fat to accumulate inside skin folds and creating puffiness.
The following three causes can occur separately or in combination with each other:
- Hanging or wrinkling of the skin
- Lower lid muscle weakness
- Loosening of deeper membranes which hold fat deposits away from the lower eyelid
As well as the above, these two causes are also possible:
- Sagging of the outer corner of the eye
- Deepening of circles under the eyes
Our doctors will first thoroughly investigate to see which of above cases apply to you and to what extent. This means we that together we can agree on the best possible treatment with the best possible results.
Make an appointment today and find out if a correction of the lower eyelids is the best solution for you.
With a ‘turbo’ blepharoplasty of the lower eyelids, excess fat from the eye bags is distributed throughout the underlying dark circles instead of simply removing it.
Using this method, we kill two birds with one stone. The bags disappear, and so do those dark rings which often occur under the eyes.
Despite the more extensive technical aspects of this type of corrective surgery, this procedure goes very smoothly under local anaesthesia, with or without slight sedation.
Canthopexy – Canthoplasty
In some cases, when the removal of excess skin and fat is not enough to solve the problem, a lower eyelid lift is also required.
This suspension technique is called a canthopexy and brings the corner of the eye back to a higher position, as when young, at the same time tightening up the edge of the lower lid.
If there is excessive sagging of the lower lid edge, this will need to be shortened using a technique called canthoplasty.
Follow-up care after canthoplasty or canthopexy.
The chance of experiencing complications after a lower eyelid correction is small. Our surgeons will discuss the risks and follow-up treatment before the start of the procedure.
After the procedure, we recommend you take note of the following points:
- Do not lower your head (e.g. tie shoe laces) or lie flat. If you sleep on your back, prop yourself up with a double thickness pillow
- Avoid stress and try to remain relaxed and rested; your blood pressure should remain low. Reading and watching television are permitted
- Aftercare consists of anti-inflammatory agents and painkillers in combination with gentle cooling. No ice or cold packs should be placed directly onto the eye; always use a thick piece of cloth to wrap around them. Even better, place a clean flannel moistened with cold water onto the eye
- Eye drops (Artificial tears), and an ointment to be applied onto the scar tissue, should be used for 1 week
- Stitches will be removed within 1 week
At Focus Eye Clinic, we consciously implement an extremely transparent price policy. You pay the correct price for the latest eyelid correction technology.
Correction of the lower eyelids costs €1,750. If the purpose of your treatment is cosmetic rather than therapeutic, a surcharge of 21% VAT will be added.
For pre-operative screening we charge a one-off price of €60. Post-operative follow-up as well as aftercare and removal of stitches is included.
Make an appointment today and find out whether an eyelid correction is the best solution for you.